Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Patterns in Red and Black

Patterns in Red and Black - 6 x 6" - oil on panel
Some pictures just ask to be painted! I was in Huntington, WV, with my artist buddies, Linda and Judy. We came upon a sidewalk cafe, and the colors and shadows were great! I said that it was too bad no one was sitting at the cafe... Well, Linda and Judy didn't miss a beat. They ran over and sat down! I whipped out my camera, and just then, a couple came down the street, both dressed in black! Was this not too perfect?

I painted this using the "Zorn Palette" of yellow ochre, red, black, and white. This makes some colors impossible to mix, but gives the work an internal color harmony. I also connected the darks to make for a better composition. If you look at it with half-closed eyes, you just see it as a pattern.

I welcome comments on this painting! Would you have used the Zorn palette? Or do you have other favorite colors?

If you like this, please share it with your friends! (Notice the Share links to the right or below) (hint, hint) or...   To buy, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!