Friday, October 4, 2013

Alone in the Woods

Boulder Creek Falls - 12 x 9" - oil on linen panel
Until today, I had been on my own as far a finding good places to paint. Well, now, the park superintendent offered to take me to Boulder Creek Falls, a place I would otherwise not be able to visit, because my car is not 4-wheel drive. The whole staff was so friendly there, and really went out of their way to make me feel at home.

We drove for what seemed like miles, up a road that would be impassable with my car, forded a stream, then walked through the woods, uphill (thankfully he carried my pack) to the site of this beautiful waterfall! Then, he left, and said he would send a ranger to pick me up at 3:00. There was no one there, no buildings, nothing. The sound of falls was so loud, it was all I could hear. This made me a little uncomfortable at first, but then I really got into it!

By this time, not only was I sleeping massive amounts, I was hungry all the time. Good thing I had food with me. I looked around for bears every time I opened something to eat!

When the ranger came to pick me up, all I had down on the canvas was an underpainting, which is the browns and grays you see here. I put in the green leaves and whites of the water after the underpainting had dried. That way, I could lay the white on, without it mixing with the brown underneath.
Detail
 
I hope you have a chance to get out in nature today and enjoy the beauty of this world!
 
 


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!