Thursday, June 2, 2011

Would You Paint a Blue Car?

Burlington Hotel
oil on canvas - 11" x 14"

There I was, at Port Costa, looking for something to paint. And this big old yellow clapboard building with the sun shining on it was practically screaming, "paint me." It's colors were sunny and wonderful: yellow with bright blue trim! All the window blinds were at the same position. It appeared to be closed, but the sign said Burlington Hotel. It stood at the end of the street, so there was plenty of parking.

Well, I consider myself a landscape painter: as in trees, rivers, skies, natural stuff. I try to avoid putting in power lines, liter, cars... So I was disappointed to see cars parked in front of the building. Then, I looked again. They were blue cars! They harmonized perfectly with the trim on the hotel. So, I had no excuse, I had to paint it! I almost titled it "Three Blue Cars."

I had a lot of trouble with the straight lines, and had to fix that somewhat at home. Plan to carry a small t-square in my backpack in the future.

This is my second painting for the Crockett Paint-out. One more to go...

2 comments:

  1. You are so clever with your subjects and titles! I had to laugh. Only an artist with a true sense of humor and a good eye for color and composition would attempt such a subject. I guess that is what we call content. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment. That's the great thing about blogs and websites--they tell stories about the art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!